There is plenty of social media platforms to choose from – but, apart from their names and using them every day both for personal reasons and as a brand/influencer, how much do you know about them? Today we are going to tell you a lot of really interesting statistics from 2020 about some of the most popular social media platforms that we all love and use for business!
Social media websites offer a great opportunity for each brand to grow and are literally working places for influencers and content creators. Since these platforms have so many active users and consumers, marketers can use them to generate leads, create brand awareness for their companies, gather data about their target audiences and industries, share news, create materials, and engage with the members of the communities of their followers.
According to this report from the first part of 2020, over 3.8 billion users go to social media platforms every day – and the number only keeps on growing. What does that mean? Well, that basically half of the Earth's population uses them for both personal and professional reasons – and this is why you should always be up to date with them and be well familiar with as many facts about them as possible.
Having that in mind we prepared the following 70+ facts about social media platforms like Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Pinterest, and Snapchat – and hopefully, you are going to find something interesting between all these numbers and learn something new today with Brybe. And remember that we encourage you to use all of them when starting your work with social media marketing – regardless of whether you are an influencer trying to enhance his/her reach, or a brand looking to increase its awareness with the use of new, modern media.
Sources of the following data are Hootsuite, GlobalWebIndex, GoodFirms, World Economic Forum, Animoto, Curalate, Edelman, PwC, Influencer Marketing Hub, Buffer, Lyfemarketing, Pew Research Center, HubSpot, 99 Firms, LinkedIn, SocialPilot, FoundationInc, WebFX, Statista, CNBC, and Exalted Digital.
Before heading to specific social media platforms, let's begin with some general facts about influencer marketing and social media site usage within.
General Social Media Facts and Statistics
- Top social media networks: Facebook (95%), Twitter (84%), Instagram (74%), LinkedIn (62%), and YouTube (61%).
- People spend 2 hours and 23 minutes daily on social media browsing and messaging. Additionally, 98.55% of people use at least four social media channels daily.
- Gen Z logs on to social media for an average of two hours and 55 minutes.
- Total active social media users: 3.484 billion.
- 321 million new people joined social media in 2019, which brought the total from 3.48 billion to 3.8 billion social media users (an increase of 9%) in 2020.
- According to the same Hootsuite study, 90% of brands want to build brand awareness through social media. 77% of them use it to maintain brand reputation, while 71% of them use it for building and managing an engaged community.
- Videos are the #1 branded content used by marketers. Nearly 93% of marketers say that they’ve landed a customer thanks to videos on social media. Additionally, 63% of them say that it generates the best ROI on social media too.
- B2B organizations prefer LinkedIn (86%) and B2C companies choose to use Facebook (98%) for social media marketing.
- 58% of businesses find it challenging to measure the ROI of their social media marketing efforts. The other challenges include lack of time (56%), lack of budget (51%), and staying up-to-date on social trends (50%).
- 76% of American consumers purchased a product after seeing a brand’s social post.
- 39% of customers only trust brands if they have interacted with them on social platforms.
- 80% of American customers say speed, convenience, knowledgeable help, and friendly service are must-haves for a social experience to be termed “positive”.
- 17% of customers will walk away from a brand they love if they have even a single bad experience with it on social media.
- 90% of brands use social media to build brand awareness, 77% to manage brand reputation, and 61% to increase conversions and sales.
- 73% of marketers believe that their efforts through social media marketing have been “somewhat effective” or “very effective” for their business.
- 54% of social browsers use social media to research products.
- 71% of consumers who have had a positive experience with a brand on social media are likely to recommend the brand to their friends and family.
- YouTube is the second-largest search engine globally.
- Reddit is predominantly male. 15% of male internet users between 18 to 29 say they use Reddit.
- 94% of marketers use social media for content distribution.
- Blogs are among the primary three forms of media used in content strategies today.
- Social ad spending is forecast to increase by 20% to $43 billion USD in 2020.
- Social ad impressions are up 20%, year over year.
- Social posts containing or featuring UGC have a 4.5% higher conversion rate than non-UGC posts.
- 72% of B2B marketers who use paid channels online use paid social.
Facts and Statistics About Facebook
- Facebook video ads have the lowest CPC with an average CPC of $0.97.
- 69% of all adults in the US are using Facebook.
- Women between 18–24 and Males between 25–34 constituted the biggest demographic group of Facebook users.
- 500 million Facebook stories are shared daily.
- Facebook users spend 38 minutes per day using the platform.
- Branded Facebook pages only reach about 2% of fans with organic posts.
- 72% of online users of income more than $75K are on Facebook.
- 43% of users get their news from Facebook.
- 140 million people daily, now spend at least one-minute consuming Watch content on Facebook.
Facts and Statistics About Twitter
- Twitter ads with video are 50% cheaper in cost-per-engagement.
- 34% of Twitter users are female and 66% of users are men.
- Twitter has 134 million daily active users.
- Twitter users spent an average of 3.39 minutes on the social networking platform per session.
- 25% of Twitter’s most prolific users use scheduling software.
- Companies using Twitter for customer service see a 19% lift in customer satisfaction.
- Twitter’s site referral traffic is up 6%, year-over-year.
- Tweets with images receive 18% more click-throughs, 89% more likes, and 150% more retweets.
Facts and Statistics About Instagram
- 24% of US teens cite Instagram as their favorite social network.
- The projected number of US Instagram users by 2023 is 125.5 million.
- The Instagram Like button is hit by an average of 4.2 billion times per day.
- 63% of Instagram users visit the social platform daily.
- 33% of B2B businesses, 71% of businesses, and 98% of fashion brands use Instagram.
- 130 million Instagram users tap on shopping posts every month.
- U.S. marketers spend 31% of their Instagram ad budget on Stories and the rest 69% for newsfeed.
- 40% of Instagram posts contain no hashtags.
- Instagram videos receive 21.2% higher interactions than single photos, and 18.6% more interactions than carousels.
Facts and Statistics About Snapchat
- Snapchat had 238 million daily active users (DAUs) in the first half of 2020.
- Snapchat saw an increase of 13% YoY growth in daily active users since 2018.
- Snapchat users open the app over 18 times daily.
Facts and Statistics About TikTok
- 41 % of TikTok users are aged between 16 and 24.
- U.S. users open TikTok 8 times a day and individual sessions on the app are the longest at 4.9 minutes – Facebook (4.7 minutes), Instagram (3.1 minutes), and Snapchat (1.6 minutes) rank lower.
- Americans have spent over $23.1 million on in-app TikTok purchases so far.
Facts and Statistics About Pinterest
- 85% of its users access Pinterest through a mobile device.
- U.S Pinterest users spend an average of 5.29 minutes per mobile app session.
- 48% of Pinterest users in the US use the platform to shop.
- Pinterest drives 33% more traffic to shopping sites than Facebook.
- Pinterest’s popular categories for men are food, drink, and technology.
- Visual searches on Pinterest have more than doubled in one year.
Facts and Statistics About LinkedIn
- There are 303 million monthly active users on LinkedIn.
- 57% of LinkedIn traffic is from mobile devices.
- There are 9 billion content impressions in LinkedIn feeds every week.
- HubSpot found that traffic from LinkedIn generated the highest visitor-to-lead conversion rate at 2.74%, almost 277% higher than Facebook and Twitter.
- Only 1% of users post content weekly on LinkedIn, though 91% of marketing executives use LinkedIn as a content source.
- LinkedIn is generating revenue for 38% of B2B marketers.
- Long-form content gets the most shares on LinkedIn, so aiming for between 1700 & 2100 words should give your content a boost.
- Links to Youtube video plays directly in the LinkedIn feed and typically gives a 75% higher share rate.